December 1

Sting 20 “Let’s Get Digital, Dig- it- al”

Digital Magazines

Many magazines are creating digital editions, exact copies of the print magazine that you can view online using a one of several different viewers/players, such as  Zinio (you can get a free trial subscription there).

Digital magazines are a great resource in conjunction with the interactive whiteboards.  See if there’s one that might provide supplementary material for your content.

Sign up for 1 free digital subscription at http://goreadgreen.com/ If you’re savvy, you can figure out a way to sign up for more than one subscription.

yudu– Read digital magazines for free AND create your own.  Decatur High School in Georgia has created one titled “Carpe Diem”.  Categories range from Animals & Pets to Film & Animation to Travel & Events.

coverleaf – Looks like you can preview digital editions of magazines and subscribe to them.  There are some free magazines in there, and subscribers to the print editions seem to be able to subscribe to the digital for free. (Maybe here’s where the promethean board comes in if theres a curriculum-related magazine you use)

Here are some magazines with digital editions available for free to read online:

hospitality design

hospitality upgrade

Architect

landscape architecture digital preview of the April 2010 edition; digital subscription available)

arts and architecture not a digital edition, but I thought it worthwhile- you can view pages (in pdf) of issues from January 1945- to 1969.  The covers are totally mod cool! You can buy a tshirt with selected cover designs.

conduit not really a ”digital magazine’ but kinda cool. Let me know when you figure out what it is.

wend outdoorsy stuff.

popsci Popsci makes its archives searchable via Google Books.

Which leads us to Google Books, offering some magazines in their entirety.  I’m not sure what exactly you call this format that google is using; it is “digital” in a sense, but they’re also scanned in, not produced to be digital(?)
Go to http://books.google.com/. To search only magazines with full view, click on advanced search. In advanced search, click on Full view only and Magazines (highlighted below) and put in your search terms. For a short intro from Google, click here.

google books search box

google book advanced search

Have an online or digital magazine you like? Add it to the comments!

If you’re wondering, the title of this post is a shout-out to all you Olivia Newton-John fans 🙂

Posted December 1, 2010 by Fred Jahns in category news, Reference, Weekly Sting

About the Author

High School Librarian; 20 years in education.

8 thoughts on “Sting 20 “Let’s Get Digital, Dig- it- al”

1. Phyllis King

love this!!!! selected American Craft Magazine. Pleased to get it for free and be able to share some really cool stuff with sculpture students!!!

2. Phyllis King

Conduit is worth checking out….you can actually access TED via the Chain-link….FWISD filter doesn’t let us veiw TED.
    Love Conduit!!!!

3. Denise

My favorite digital magazine is Shop Smart. I ready it through Zinio. It wasn’t free, but well worth the money. I subscribe to about 6 magazines through Zinio and really enjoy reading in that format.

I also have the People app which let’s me read People magazine on my iPad. I love that format as well.

4. Vickie Jenson

I like Family Fun magazine. One of my favorites full of activities to do with kids. I also like Mailbox Magazine for teachers. Didn’t see that one, but that would be my first choice

5. scorpionlibrary (Post author)

Vickie- Where did you find Family Fun magazine? Digital edition or website? What’s the link?